Establishing a good anti-aging regimen that you can stick to is the best thing that you can do for your skin. A commitment to having younger, flawless skin is one that will produce tremendous rewards. I have been using night cream since I was in my teens thanks to my grandmother rubbing Ponds cream all over my face before bedtime since I was about 8 years old. I remember thinking that it was silly back then, and it probably was, but I would thank her now! People almost never guess my age and I owe it all to my grandmother’s inspiration to stick to the skincare regimen that I have put together over the years. Having worked in Dermatology for 6 years, I had the opportunity to try a ton of the higher end products but I still have some drugstore favorites. Ok, here we go!
Five Anti Aging Skincare Steps
- First, you need a good cleanser to use twice per day. Preferably one that gently exfoliates with a synthetic bead. Beware of products that use the pit of a fruit like apricot because the particles can be jagged and cause injury to the skin. My favorite which I cannot live without is the SkinMedica AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser. It contains Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) which helps to reduce the look of wrinkles and stimulate collagen and elastin production.
- Second, you need a good toner to use after cleansing your face. Toners remove excess oil, shrink pores, and refresh your skin. Toners may even prevent ingrown hairs. Since my skin can be oily, especially in the summer months, I use Skinceuticals LHA Solution. This particular toner contains Lactic Acid (another AHA) so it will have the same benefits as the cleansers that contain the same ingredients. For those of you who would like something more gentle, try Organic Rosewater. I tend to use this on my under eye area since the skin is thinner and more sensitive. Organic Rosewater, when applied regularly for 15 minutes is said to decrease the appearance of dark under eye circles over time.
- Third, you need a good antioxidant serum. One that contains Vitamins C and E is best so that you can get the antioxidant benefits of both. When worn during the day, Vitamin C serum provides environmental protection while improving the appearance of lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness and brightening skin tone. I use Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic Serum which can be a bit pricey but I think this product is totally worth it. It really makes my skin glow!
- Fourth, you need a good sunscreen to wear every day! Do not skip this step because the weather reported that it would be a cloudy day. Sunscreen is one of the most important steps in preventing any further skin damage, which as we know, only causes the skin to age. For oily skin I would recommend Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer. Recently, I have been alternating between my Cetaphil and Lumene BB Cream with Vitamin C (Medium), a tinted moisturizer on days that I like a little more coverage and no foundation. (Here is the link for the Light shade).
- Fifth, and most important, regular facial treatments. I have tried microdermabrasion, various peels and plain micro needling, but the latest and most effective treatment I have tried is a procedure called the Vampire Facial. Two weeks after the treatment and my skin feels brand new. The procedure uses plasma from your own blood that is introduced into the skin with a Micro Needling Pen. This plasma, or PRP, contains stem cells that help your skin rejuvenate by producing collagen and fresh tissue. The procedure also reduces wrinkles, evens skin tone, minimizes pores and restores your natural glow. Having this treatment done at least once per year will really turn back the hands of time on your face.